Senior Software Engineer
A UX EXPERT AND ENGINEER, FOR DEFENDING THE INTERNET
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Fight for the Future is looking for a senior-level full-stack software engineer to lead the technology side of our digital campaigning efforts. This is more than a simple coding or campaigning position. This is a technology leadership position for someone who understands the threats that face the future of free expression on the Internet, and who can successfully use the Internet as a medium for political change by conceptualizing, creating and delivering on a wide variety of technology projects to make a positive difference in the world.
- You’re a flexible full stack hacker who can make things work and work well for millions of users, while also being able to quickly and independently develop small, simple tools for our campaigns that feel great for the people using them.
- You can faithfully implement others’ designs and make good decisions about layout, typography, and color when needed (but you definitely don’t need to be an expert designer or have illustration skills!)
- You can build high quality user interaction with intuitive prompts, modals, clear buttons, etc, spotting and fixing UI problems as you go.
- You could design straight to code if needed, and while your own design choices don’t have to look fancy or highly polished (authentic is often better!) the result should be crafted, professional and ready to put in front of millions of people.
- You are versed in current product innovations, messaging apps, social media, UI/UX, and design.
- You understand rapid prototyping and release, user adoption, and user testing, and you can navigate cost/benefits analysis of various technical solutions, languages, devops, and architecture-based decisions.
- You can think on your feet, be organized, optimize project plans and workload, manage/delegate the different pieces of projects and user growth.
- You enjoy a fast-paced environment and can pivot quickly and as needed to make changes based on changing outside requirements.
- You like brainstorming ways to simplify the scope of a project to fit a given timeline (e.g. if the team asks for something crazy/hard, maybe there’s a much easier way to achieve a similar result) and you’re always looking for those kinds of lovely simplifications.
- You’re happy doing some self-QA and tweaking until a user experience works reliably and feels nice.
- You’re comfortable working as the only technical person in a team (this won’t always be the case, but it will sometimes) and thinking into and around a problem, exposing corner cases and potential issues to non-technical collaborators.
WHAT YOU’LL BE BUILDING:
- Tools and apps that get used over and over by our organization and others.
- Internet wide infrastructure for large, decentralized actions across a coalition of websites.
- Solutions that achieve our goals by leveraging and customizing existing services (CRM, publishing tools, etc).
- Flawless HTML/CSS and clear, modern design and custom tools that send powerful messages out into the world & apply political pressure in the right places at the right time.
THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE ABOUT THIS JOB:
- It’s telecommute work with a 100% remote team
- We do retreats and in-person sprints too, because it’s nice to see people!
- The work will be highly varied, like freelancing on a variety of projects
- You can choose the framework and tools we use to get stuff done, and use whatever you’re most excited about.
- We can give you a contractor budget to reduce/eliminate mundane work. Responsibility for the final result is what matters.
- Be a hero to many. The “yeah, I made that” small talk in bars is fun.
- Experience building applications with a modern web framework like Django, Rails, or Node.js
- Experience managing large databases
- Experience in HTML/CSS with awareness of common cross-browser problems
- Proven ability to do clean and classy design when needed.
- Ability to make good UI/UX decisions and spot problems
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Having successfully launched a great product working in a small team.
- Ability to build and manage teams.
- Strong participation in communities like Reddit or HN
- Lots of remote / freelance experience solving problems on tight deadlines
- Experience working remotely (we use slack/trello/google hangouts)
MEGA BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Having built and marketed your own product.
- Having been a leader—of anything—especially online, especially tech-related
- Understanding and being able to hack on projects that push the limits of user freedom such as: TOR, Bitcoin, Bittorrent, GPG, OTR messaging, academic P2P work, etc.
- Experience with activism, resistance, creative and positive troublemaking, or any kind of fiery provocative work in any area.
To apply, fill out the application here. You'll need to include a link to your resume and links to your public repos, sample code (as many examples as possible) and good examples of UI, design, and/or HTML/CSS work.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Sr. Chef DevOps DeveloperRaytheonRichardson, TX, United StatesFeb 23
Android Developer, ProductShowtime Networks Inc.New York, NY, United StatesFeb 22
Manager, ProductShowtime Networks Inc.New York, NY, United StatesFeb 22
Product AnalystShowtime Networks Inc.New York, NY, United StatesFeb 22
Project Manager, ProductShowtime Networks Inc.New York, NY, United StatesFeb 22
Latest from the webjobs by
Software Integration EngineerBroetje Automation USA Inc.Chicago, IL30 Jan
Managing Broker and Contract to Close CoordinatorCatalyst RealtyAustin, TX24 Feb
Head of DesignWunderLand GroupSan Francisco, CA17 Dec
Senior Mobile Engineer in Quality - iOS/AndroidIntuitMountain View, CA 9403922 Jan
Web Developer & Tech Support position in fast growing companyLightcast.comCharlotte, NC1 Jan
Director, Validation TestTASER InternationalScottsdale, AZ, United StatesJan 30
Senior Software EngineerMagooshBerkeley, CA, United StatesFeb 15
Senior Software EngineerEarthXSan Francisco, CA, United StatesFeb 21
Senior Software Engineer (.NET, C#)Diamax Information SystemsBucharest, RomaniaFeb 03
Senior Software Engineer, Tools and Frameworks @ Practice FusionThe SourcerySan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 26