Senior Data Engineer
Join the team that is enabling Deliberate Practice in
Music Education, Endurance Sports and Strength & Conditioning
Peaksware is seeking an experienced Senior Data Engineer in our Boulder, Colorado office to design and build the data warehousing architecture and ETL pipelines to enable real-time Business Intelligence and customer engagement monitoring across each business line and within each product.
You will work in an agile, open, collaborative and cross-departmental environment with Engineering, Product, Marketing, Sales, Finance and Executives. As part of the Peaksware Data team you will work with a Data Scientist and Data Analyst as a part of the umbrella company but you will also work closely with the teams and products at MakeMusic, TrainingPeaks, TrainHeroic, Alfred Music and BestBikeSplit.
The purpose of our Data Team is to improve the instrumentation of our business so that we can confidently know how we’re doing, where to better leverage expenses and how to engage customers to increase lifetime value... all with data we can trust and processes that will scale across product and business lines. We need you to lead the creation and implementation of an infrastructure to enable this vision.
You must have extensive experience architecting data warehouses and building ETL pipelines to ingest and integrate data from multiple sources. You should be passionate about working with data and understand how it is used to answer SaaS business questions and provide immediate feedback to both internal users and external customers.
You should have:
- Experience designing and operating very large data warehouses
- Experience with ETL pipelines, data modeling, dependency management, etc.
- Experience working with a wide range of models and data mining techniques
- Experience with AWS and a variety of RDBMS and Big Data tools
- Familiarity with Mixpanel, Segment.io, Snowplow or similar event sourcing tools
- Knowledge of and direct experience with BI reporting and analytics tools
What you will do:
- Learn core business and product metrics: Financial/Strategic, Product/Engagement
- Define Single Source of Truth (SSOT) for each category of metric and business unit, implementing data lakes, ETL frameworks & pipelines, and data warehousing strategies
- Operationalize real-time business intelligence reporting
- Operationalize customer engagement modeling to enable behavior based recommendations both internally and to the right customer with the right message at the right time
Peaksware is the umbrella company made up of five separate companies: MakeMusic, TrainingPeaks, BestBikeSplit, TrainHeroic and Alfred Music in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. Peaksware has been recognized as one of Outside Magazine's "Best Places to Work" for five years. Through a unique approach to deliberate practice, each company within Peaksware develops software solutions and provides services focused solely on their respective markets to help guide people along their own journey of improvement and skill development.
Our Engineering Philosophy:
- DevOps - We want developers to have insight and ownership over code in production, integration tools, infrastructure, and deployment process. Developers should always ask what it takes to support their systems/code in production. We value The Phoenix Project as a reference guide.
- Product Efficiency is achieved upstream - The further down the development pipeline we have to fix bugs or rework features, the more expensive it is.
- Small, Cross-Functional Teams - QA, Dev, Design, CI, and Product working on a focused and shared vision.
- Complexity - It's easy to make something complex, but difficult to make it simple. We should always be fighting complexity. Can we deprecate systems/code? Do it. Does the system need to be that complicated? Do we build vs buy?
- Small Batch Sizes - Constantly work towards shorter release cycles as a means to shore up quality, help make sure we are working on the right things at the right time, stabilize operations, and cut down on waste.
- Performance matters - We value engineers that know not to over optimize solutions, but always think how code will perform at expected scale.
- Minimum Process Necessary - We strive to be pragmatic. Some process is necessary, but don’t forget the fundamentals of Agile.
- Managing Technical Debt - The vast majority of work is maintenance. Engineers need to have practical philosophies on refactoring. We like the theory of Broken Windows, YAGNI, and refactor as you go. We appreciate Clean Code, Working Effectively with Legacy Code, and Pragmatic Programmer as reference guides.
- Data Driven - Let’s use the data to help inform what to work on, what is causing performance issues, who is using our features... Ultimately it's the objective plus the narrative that produces great product.
Our Data Principles:
- Accurate and Dependable - When people trust your data, they’ll use it
- Accessible - When people can easily access the data they need, they’ll use it
- Actionable - When data is relevant and useful it will get used
- Democratized - When people can answer their own questions, they’ll do it
- Flexible - When people can dive deep to find answers, they’ll do it
- Secure - When people know your data is secure, they’ll use it
- Used - Above all, when people truly use data to inform decisions, that’s success
Benefits and Perks:
- 100% company paid medical plan for employees with buy-up options as well as dental and vision insurance for employees (dependent coverage available)
- $1,200/year fitness reimbursement to purchase any items related to healthy living
- 3 weeks of PTO for all new hires. Increases in PTO at various years of service
- 4 week paid sabbatical for all employees after 7 years of employment
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Dog friendly office
- Music Studio for all to practice, jam, and record.
- On-site workout area access: treadmill, bike trainers, rowers, and full weight lifting gym with CrossFit equipment, with changing rooms and showers and towel service
- Beautiful North East Boulder, CO location
- Flexible work schedule in a culture of trust
Sign up for Job Alerts
Manager, Software EngineeringConsensus CorporationSalt Lake City, UT, United StatesJan 19
Global Supply Manager @ Brava HomeThe SourcerySan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 19
Engineering Program Manager @ Brava HomeBrava HomeSan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 19
Front-end Software EngineerSignal OceanAthens, Kentrikos Tomeas Athinon, GreeceJan 18
Software Developer must have an Active Top Secret/SCI Security ClearanceTad PGS AKA Adecco GovernmentSpringfield, VA, United StatesJan 17
Latest from the webjobs by
Lead Software EngineerTechCrunchSan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 09
Senior Software DeveloperAmerican Physical SocietyRidge, NY, United StatesJan 04
Digital Growth ManagerWealthsimpleNew York, NY, United StatesJan 10
TechCrunch Battlefield ManagerTechCrunchSan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 09
Senior Data Engineer @ MeetMeThe SourcerySan Francisco, CA, United StatesJan 10